Saturday, November 29, 2008

The dreaded doctor's appointment





Doctor Appt Nov 11, 2008

Height: 38  3/4 inches Weight: 32.1 lbs

When I took Tatum in to get her annual shots I had scheduled for Lincoln to get his flu shot at the same time. She is old enough to not be tricked anymore so we talked about it and I thought preparing her was the best way to go. She watches me do my insulin shots throughout the day and she thinks it is so cool and always asks for one. I tell her it is my medicine and it helps me to be strong.

Scene: Doctor's office, Tatum's annual check- up and shots
Tatum lying on the office bed, thigh exposed
Nurse: Tatum, this is going to be cold but I am going to clean your leg to give you a shot.
Tatum: OOOOoooh, that's cold. Mommy I going to get a shot to make me strong!!!
Nurse: Okay here I go, a little poke, then it is all done.
Tatum: Mommy it 's okay, I just getting a shot like you!
Nurse: Administers the shot.
Tatum: Feels the prick, furrows her brow and gives me the most puzzling look.
Mommy: It's okay, it's all done, this will help you be strong.
Tatum: I all done. I got a bugs bunny band-aid, I so strong like you mommy!

She did so good I couldn't believe it. Now Lincoln was next:

Nurse: Prepares and pokes.
Lincoln: Screaming and wailing, big huge crocodile tears.
Mommy: On the verge of tears, frantically trying to find the binky.
Tatum: Rubbing Lincoln's arm, It's okay Minken(Lincoln) , you got a band-aid like me!

4 comments:

Caitlin Teal said...

Ohhhhhh my, Tatum is SO good to Mincoln!!! I love hearing these kinds of stories about these two! They are so adorable! Tell Tatum that Caitlin says she thinks Tatum is such a big girl and a great big sister!

Brooklyn said...

Very, very cute. Getting Cai's one-year shots was awful. I'm glad Lincoln had Tatum to help him weather the ordeal!

Jill said...

You have to give yourself insulin????? Let me know when to start voting on the gingerbread house

AEllsworth said...

Such a cute story! Reading through all your cute stories Tatum sounds like such a sweetheart who takes very good care of her baby brother. :) How fun! Hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving!